2-3 lb of Stewing Beef (cut into small bite size pieces)
Salt and pepper
1/4 C Vegetable Oil
1 lb Smoked Sausage (cut into 1/4 in slices)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
5 tbs Butter
1 large White or Yellow Onion (chopped)
5 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
3 stalks of Celery (chopped)
1/4 C Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 bunch parsley, stems and leaves (coarsely chopped)
4 C hot Water
5 Beef Bouillon Cubes
1 (14 oz can) Stewed Tomatoes with juice
2 C frozen Okra (sliced width wise, can use fresh if you wish)
4 Green Onions (chopped use white and green parts)
1/2-1 tbs Hot Sauce (your favorite brand add more or less to taste)
1/2 lb small Shrimp (peeled, deveined and cooked...[I cheat and use already deveined shrimp])
2-3 C Barley
1. Season the stewing beef with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Cook the steak until browned on each side and remove.
3. Add the sausage and cook until browned, then remove.
4. Sprinkle the flour over the oil, add 2 tbs of butter and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until brown, about 10 minutes.
5. Let the roux cool.
6. Return the pan to low heat and melt the remaining 3 tbs of butter.
7. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and cook for 10 minutes.
8. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt/pepper (to taste), hot sauce, and the 1/4 bunch parsley.
9. Cook, while stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
10. Add 4 cups hot water and bouillon cubes, whisking constantly.
11. Add the beef and sausage.
12. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
13. After 45 minutes add tomatoes, okra, and barley.
14. Recover and simmer for 1 hour.
15. Just before serving add the green onions, shrimp and chopped parsley.