White Chicken Chilli:
Prep Time: 45 min Cook Time: 4 hours
This is one of my husbands all time favorites!
1 medium White Onion (chopped)
1 clove Garlic (minced)
1 tbs Olive Oil
4 cooked, boneless skinless Chicken Breast halves (chopped/shredded)
2 (14-oz) cans Chicken Broth
1 (4-oz) can chopped Green Chilies
2 tsp ground Cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
3 (14.5-oz) cans Great Northern beans or Navy beans (drained, divided)
1 (4-oz) C Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
Chopped Jalapeno Pepper (optional)
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the onions and garlic in oil for 10 minutes or until onions are tender/translucent.
(If you are using the crock-pot you can just throw the garlic/onion right in as it will cook and become tender while everything else cooks. But if you want to semi caramelize grab a pan then throw them in the pot)
2. Boil chicken until it is cooked through.
3. Using a fork and knife shred the chicken.
4. Add the shredded chicken, chicken broth, green chilies, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and beans; bring to a boil.
(If using crock-pot just throw everything in the pot and set to HIGH for 2-3 hours stirring occasionally).
5. Reduce heat to low (After cooking on high for 2-3 hours set to LOW and allow to cook for another 1-2 hours so the flavor become more intense).
6. After 2 hours turn heat off, top each serving with cheese and jalapeno pepper if desired.